Busselton Vet Hospital Library
Lily Intoxication in Cats
Initial signs associated with lily intoxication include vomiting, inappetence, and lethargy due to irritation to the stomach.
Learn About Lily Intoxication in Cats
A common toxicity in cats is poisoning by chewing or eating ornamental lilies. There are lots of different types of lilies, but the types to be aware of are the tiger lily, easter lily and angel trumpet lily, which are all commonly found in flower arrangements or in gardens. All parts of the plant are poisonous, and only small amounts need to be ingested.
What symptoms does it cause?
Initial signs associated with Lily intoxication include vomiting, inappetence, and lethargy due to irritation to the stomach. Later signs include vomiting, weakness, lack of urination or increased urination, and a painful abdomen associated with swollen kidneys. Lily intoxication causes acute kidney failure, meaning their kidneys can no longer do their job of excreting the waste products of metabolism, which build up in the blood.
How is it treated?
How is it diagnosed?
A diagnosis of Lily intoxication often relies on history from the owner, as often many people don’t realise the significance of ingestion; the vet may need to specifically ask this question. A physical exam will reveal painful kidneys and often dehydration, in combination with blood work showing elevation in kidneys parameters and electrolyte imbalances, this will lead to the diagnosis of acute kidney failure secondary to Lily intoxication.
Will my pet be okay?
If effective decontamination is made and fluid therapy is started soon enough, prognosis can be very good. Once kidney failure develops, prognosis for a full recovery is guarded.